Because of the lack of roads Mahurangi’s early settlers relied on coastal trading vessels for contact with the wider world. This led to its early post offices being located near to waterways and hosted by local residents.
The Mahurangi Heads Post Office was built in 1867 on the property of George Darroch. George operated a shipyard on the peninsular that is now better known as Scotts Landing. He was paid an annual sum of £5 as the first postmaster.
50 years later the post office was moved to the Lawrie Homestead. It continued to operate until the late 1940s, when newly metalled roads meant that the cream truck became the carrier of mail rather than those early coastal traders.