In 1893 Willie Hamilton bought 200 acres of land with a partly built house on the Mahurangi river. He called it the Grange.
This Aeolian harp was built by Willie to fit one of the sash windows in the master bedroom of the Grange, possibly circa 1912 whilst his wife Bell was recovering from surgery. Set in the open window the strings would have been strummed by the wind.
Watch our interview with Willie’s granddaughter Lyn to find out more about Willie and his harp.